We’re going (going) back (back) to simple (simple).
Look. The past few years I’ve been all talk, no read. I set these kitschy challenges for myself (that I adore! oh, how I adore them!) but have I actually completed any of them? Ask 2017 and 2018. Those two fell right to bits and tatters, they did. This year, I’m shaking it up with my annual reading challenge by going back to the basics. Let’s just get through some books this year. Haven’t we been through enough with the hellstorm that was 2018? Will we ever stop saying that? Spoiler alert: we have and we won’t.
Just give me a break, me. I can’t do it.
Fine, me. Have it your way.
So here we go. Here’s to learning all the books I never got to imagine up myself. Happy 2019.
- ‘The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle’ by Stuart Turton [430 pgs]
- ‘Smoke’ by Dan Vyleta [536 pgs]
- ‘Jackaby’ by William Ritter [299 pgs]
- ‘A Brief History of Time’ by Stephen Hawking [197 pgs]
- ‘Monstress, Vol 1: Awakening’ by Marjorie M. Liu & Sana Takeda [235 pgs]
- ‘Circe’ by Madeline Miller [385 pgs]
- ‘Conversations with Friends’ by Sally Rooney [307 pgs]
- ‘The Supernatural Enhancements’ by Edgar Cantero [353 pgs]
- ‘The Essex Serpent’ by Sarah Perry [418 pgs]
- ‘Red, White & Royal Blue’ by Casey McQuiston [418 pgs]
- ‘Strange Practice’ by Vivian Shaw [353 pgs]
- ‘The Rules of Magic’ by Alice Hoffman [366 pgs]
- ‘The Death of Mrs. Westaway’ by Ruth Ware [368 pgs]
- ‘The Woman in Black’ by Susan Hill [164 pgs]
- ‘City of Ghosts’ by Victoria Schwab [285 pgs]
- ‘Alice’ by Christina Henry [291 pgs]
- ‘Ninth House’ by Leigh Bardugo [455 pgs]
- ‘Hiddensee’ by Gregory Maguire [283 pgs]
- ‘A Cosmology of Monsters’ by Shaun Hamill [320 pgs]
Total Page Count: 6,463 pgs
Bolded books still favor the recommendations of mine self.
As always, feel free to follow me on Goodreads. Reviews still not written but at least this year I’m thinking about becoming a ‘bookstagrammer.’ I’ll let you know how it doesn’t go.